Friday, September 11, 2015

We're talking Baseball

37
Write about a stadium – either a real one from your childhood, or the one next to your home now, or a grand one you once visited, or write how you’ve never even been to a stadium. We'll give poetry a try. I don't technically use a stadium, but rather a major league ball park, but I hope you can picture a wonderful stadium/ball park on a perfect summer night.  Rise and Write


The starting line-up
boys of summer take the field
pumping fists in gloves.

Batter one to the plate'
catcher signals his pitcher.
The pitcher nods yes.

Batter licks his lips
he clenches the bat tighter
the ball sails, strike one

Batter is ready;
he knows the ball his bat wants.
He waits patiently.

The ball is released
It looks like a perfect pitch
he swings the bat hard

Crack! The ball takes flight
sailing over the infielders heads
Past third base it goes

Little boy with arms out
oversize glove on his hand
the ball lands softly

Memories for life
he falls asleep with his ball
on the long drive home.

 

2 comments:

  1. Now, another surprise to me! I would never guess you'd choose to write a poem about sports! I am far away from the topic, but I truly enjoyed the poem itself. I imagine declaring it (I read it out loud as all poetry must be read) - I loved the short words and the repeating sounds b-b-b, p-p-p, l-l-l etc. Great energy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was raised watching pro and college football, baseball and basketball and played myself several sports, so sort of in my blood. I still play in a weekly volleyball league, but move much slower, and and pretty stiff Thursday mornings. (Part of my therapy) i tried to cpture that little boy drea of catching a fly ball and taking home his prize.

      Delete

Have something to share? Your respectful comments are welcome. Spam and advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything deemed hurtful to others. If you are also an aspiring writer, please feel free to add your blog site or URL.