Sunday, October 4, 2015

Beauty Queen

This is prompt 51 in Rise and Write.

Write about a queen. Is she a real figure in history or a fantasy character from your favorite fairy tale? Is there some thing about her you find admirable or enviable? Is there something that you dislike about her or her status?
OPTIONAL: Work on your fiction and share.

Beauty Queen

I've not been into the whole pageant Queen lifestyle but the last six months, I had a bit of interest.  the daughter of a woman I went to high school with was crowned Miss Minnesota about six months ago, making her the state representative for the Miss America competition.  I followed her mother's post of her daughter the pageant Queen, and even watched the television program.  She looked stunning in her 10 seconds of national fame, being able to announce her name and a bit about the state.  She did not make it into the semi finals, so other than a crowd glimpse, that was all.  I must say, I do not understand what the criteria.  There evening gown, physical fitness-what they now call the swimsuit  competition, evening gown, and a random question.   That I found completely  random.  Two girls received questions on such hot button topics as gun control and Planned Parenthood, while another got a question on Tom Brady's participation in the deflated football.  I watched to support my former classmate, her daughter, and community, but I think I am done.  Good for the women that truly enjoy this kind of competition.  It is not my thing, but if they enjoy the challenge, more power to them. 

Five minutes!

3 comments:

  1. I can only say two things about pageants ... LOTS of people love them ... I always find there's something else I'd rather do. Such is life. :) Friends often become the reason we leave behind our "something else" for a time to go where we would not otherwise go. To support a friend seems a good thing. And the glitter will wash off in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed a huge couple words in my post. It was the daughter of a woman I went to high school with-not the woman-that was Miss Minnesota. How funny, but I might have more interest, if a 49 year old was crowned Miss Minnesota and competed for Miss America. Youth would have nothing on her!

      Delete
  2. It's not my cuppa either. Writing conferences rule! :)

    ReplyDelete

Have something to share? Your respectful comments are welcome. Spam and advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything deemed hurtful to others. If you are also an aspiring writer, please feel free to add your blog site or URL.