Saturday, August 1, 2015

My Morning Eyes

It is hard for Sam to see clearly each morning.  Besides the need to wear seriously strong prescription glasses, lately what feels like layers of caked on eye sleep glue her eyes shut to the point she has to physically stretch all her facial muscles to to force the lids open.  It reminds her of having pink eye as a child, when there was a constant need for the warm wash clothe over the eyes to loosen the debris. Once open, and once the glasses, hastily thrown on the night stand right before sleep sets in, are on her face, she can see the familiar sites of her bedroom.  More often than not, the fluffy eighteen pound shitzoo-poodle mix, sensing her being awake, has got onto the bed ready to give her a good nuzzle. If not him, she sees her husband of nearly 28 years, with his morning sleep position of one pillow and and arm strewn partially over his face trying to keep the encroaching light of his face. 

Some mornings she wakes up and wishes her eyes could immediately be drawn out the window to some beach landscape, mountain view, or centuries old landmark, and not the dusty blinds used to block out the too bright sun.  Even if they were open, all the picture out the window would be is the next door neighbors back yard. Some day that will be here morning view.  She sighs, and rolls out of bed, focused on that first cup of coffee. 


This post is part of a daily Rise and Write exercise attributed to Out of the Writers Closet: Rise and Write Week1, Day 1

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for linking, Sam, and for believing the idea and trusting the process. It'll be a great journey. You may find that all you need to get into writing is a week or a month of such daily exercises, and then your wings will spread free. Or you might fall in love with the idea to start your day like this, and just stick with it. I also have not decided whether I'll write a few at once, or one per day. We'll see. It's a journey of self-discovery more than anything, to me.

    And I enjoy reading about Sam's morning and imagine that dog waiting for Sam to get up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most mornings, he's there.I'm enjoying the discipline. Please feel free to hare suggestions-this is a good process for me, so want to really learn from it.

      Delete
    2. I don't really see myself as a teacher or critic. I enjoy learning on my own, from my own experience - while sharing it freely with like-minded people. But if anything comes to mind, I'll share! :)

      Delete
    3. It raises an interesting possibility, the discussing of writing process itself here in our comments. What kinds of things would you be most interested in hearing / learning about? I ask because there is so much to talk about and learn and explore when it comes to writing, from "simple" (not always so simple) mechanics to the art of self expression, to the creation of our own personal style. Where to begin? Anywhere, I guess. It's all good stuff to learn. I'm open to discussing such things here in comments. Sounds like fun. :)

      Delete
  2. I laughed about the sleep glue. I had to go out this morning and at the last minute realised I still had eyelashes full of it. Oh dear. Good thing I checked a mirror before going out the door. Hope you enjoyed your morning coffee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have short stubby eyelashes, so not a problem once I do a good dousing, but I can imagine! Long lashes are a blessing and a curse for those afflicted with eye glue.

      Delete
  3. Nice to meet you. I too wrote about shortsightedness! Looking forward to your further writing adventures. Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm about to get caught up and read the other links. Nice to meet you as well, and good writing!

      Delete

Have something to share? Your respectful comments are welcome. Spam and advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything deemed hurtful to others. If you are also an aspiring writer, please feel free to add your blog site or URL.