Friday, September 4, 2015

4

Prompt 32 is to write about a number that is significant in your life. Maybe it’s your lucky number, or the opposite. Maybe you feel connected to a certain number and see definite patterns in your life (or your character’s life). Here is the Rise and Link  web site. 

The number 4 is my lucky number.  I just know it is, but I don't have any proof to give as evidence that it is lucky.  I just feel it is. Number four was my favorite basketball player Kyle Macy's number.  He wore it as a Kentucky Wildcat and as a Phoenix Sun.  I never got to wear number four, as in junior and senior high school, the small numbers were also the small uniforms.  While I wasn't heavy, I wasn't tiny, so 4 was off the option list. That bothered me for a long time, so when ever I am able to pick my own number, I always will go for four.

I like things in life to be divisible by four, and things seem wonky if they are not.  I often will rationalize how something becomes divisible by four using my own rules, though. For example, I grew up in a family of  ten kids, and two parents, for a family of 12.  Twelve is divisible by 4 of course.  So in my own family, I have three children, and one husband-four others in my family. For this math, I conveniently leave me out of the count. If I truly can't find a divisible, even with modifying my rules, then that wonkiness kicks in.

Most of us have been in small groups where the person leading the groups wants yet smaller groups so asks the a larger group to count off.  I feel unglued sometimes if I end up with a three or a five. They just don't work for me.  I can handle even numbers, because if you divide, you still will get equal decimal points, buy with odd numbers, the quotient becomes an irrational number.  That is just wrong. I need my rules to have rationality.

If I get a fortune cookie that lists four as one of the lucky numbers, I tend to keep it a few days, tucked in myth wallet, or perhaps even taped on my computer screen for luck. I'm not much of a gambler, but the times I've been to the race track, I have placed bets on the fourth horse.  I have no evidence that four is lucky, but it is a system, my system of four.

4 comments:

  1. Natasha and I once visited a woman who was a gifted numerologist. I wonder what she'd say about your relationship to four and what it means. Such things have always interested me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am similar way with 6. :) And I also like to modify "rules" as I go. We just go by intuition at that point, not really "rules"...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Intuition is a better term-signd of four I say.

      Delete

Have something to share? Your respectful comments are welcome. Spam and advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything deemed hurtful to others. If you are also an aspiring writer, please feel free to add your blog site or URL.