Sunday, September 20, 2015

Long Overdue Sorry

49 (Sept 21)
Write about being wrong. Is it easy for you to say "I am sorry, I was wrong"? Is it something you do or try to avoid doing? Write about someone else being wrong, or about your character being wrong. For the link to Rise and Write click Here.


I was so wrong and I knew it.  The minutes the word's came out of my mouth, I knew it was mean and cruel. "Stay out of my life!" These were the last words I said to him, as he walked away. I could not take them back, and went on about my night and the next day.  Weeks passed, and I never made that phone call, never asked about him at all. Months passed, and then it was over a year. I had moved on, met someone else. Years later and I saw him at the same New Year's eve party.  I was now newly married, happy starting a life with someone else.  He had a date, with though, I learned nothing serious.  We exchanged polite hello's, nothing more.  My husband looked at him a little suspiciously, out only for a second, confident in our own relationship.  A decade went by, and we were at a reunion.  Both of us were without our spouses.  Both of us, me more than him, had more than our share of the beer included with our reunion ticket. We talked.  

Suddenly, it all came out.  I finally apologized. I didn't  apologize for us breaking up.  I didn't apologize that I met and married someone else, I apologized for cutting him out in such a cruel an immature way, more than just that final blowup.  It was so evident that we were not in the same place mentally and emotionally.  It was evident that we wanted other things in life at that time. My way of handling it had been passive aggressive for months on end, until finally, I cut the cord with those five words. He laughed at me a bit, but also said he understood.  He too knew we were not the right long term fit, and that  he was just prolonging the inevitable, but showing up in the middle of the night that last time was a last effort to see if things could be salvaged. We both wish we could turn back the clock thirteen years and have the heart to heart we should have had at the time.  While we can't do that, we can move forward.  Our wounds have heeled, and we can see each other, our spouses, our children, and not feel that pain of the past lingering over our heads.  

3 comments:

  1. I'm always a bit fascinated by scenes like this because my actual life has never experienced them. I've never actually run across someone I used to date or be close to years later ... we writers love to write about them, but for me, it's from my imagination. I'm sure they do happen in real life ... don't they? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the above is really my experience. It was excruciatingly complicated, or so it felt at the time.

      Delete
  2. How wonderful it was for you to take that load off your heart! I am so glad you did. I am also happy for both of you that you did not end up in an unhappy marriage and broke up just on time to meet someone who made you both happy!

    ReplyDelete

Have something to share? Your respectful comments are welcome. Spam and advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything deemed hurtful to others. If you are also an aspiring writer, please feel free to add your blog site or URL.