Friday, September 11, 2015

Age is Just a Number

38 Write about the age you are now. How does it feel? Better or worse than you expected? Rise and Link

I will turn 50 by the end of the year.  Where did these years go?  Both my parents and my in-laws were grandparents well before they turned 50, but I can't imagine that  experience happening for many years. While I am reaching that milestone year, I am not bothered about it all in terms of age. I am dealing with chronic arthritis pain, but most days I just push forward and function the same way every elses does. I have more blessings that bothers in the big sense, and genuinely believe I have a good life. Over the last decades, as I have developed friendships with people both older and younger  than me, I have learned not to have expectations about what life should or will be like at certain ages. For instance, my friend K, a confirmed bachelor for most of her life. She never met anyone in her younger years, though she had several proposals, that she wanted to build a life with. Then, about ten years ago she met J, a single parent of two grown children, and grandfather of three. K and J just celebrated their 7  anniversary, and K's 60th birthday.  Life just is. 
Age really is just a number in my head, but using my age as a point of tracking time, I sometimes get completely overwhelmed.  While I didn't put expectation on myself  and my life-married by 22, children by 25, promotion by 30, grandparent by 55, and so on, I do feel like the years are going by faster than I have time to experience everything I want to. I want to be there for my kids milestone events-their plays, their concerts their film debuts, their nesting in new homes, their day to day life.  I want to be there for my friends and family and experience their highs with them, and support them in their lows. I want to make sure I have time to hang out and just play with my friends! I want to volunteer more and help make a difference  in the world. I want to have the time to travel, and not just travel to new places, go back to the places I really loved and dive into the culture, the atmosphere, the day to day happenings as more than a tourist. 

I don't aspire to be rich, but I realize that to do all the things I want to accomplish, all the things I want to experience with regularity, money is a necessity.  To those ends, I get overwhelmed at times in prioritizing where to spend my money and where to spend my time. Fifty as an age is fine by me.  Fifty as a marker that my life is probably more than half over, is a bit daunting.  Yet, the saying Every Day is a Gift, is so true.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

      Delete
  2. I find myself too asking "am I using this "now" as well as I know how to" ... I don't want to squander any "nows" ... used well, there will be enough. :)

    ReplyDelete

Have something to share? Your respectful comments are welcome. Spam and advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything deemed hurtful to others. If you are also an aspiring writer, please feel free to add your blog site or URL.