Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Door Knobs not Head Knobs

12
Today's prompt is to write about a door knob. Any door knob – maybe it’s in your room, maybe in a fancy concert hall, or in an antique shop. Is it made of glass, metal, ceramic? What color is it? Is it attached to a door that you are afraid to open, curious to open, eager to open, or are you indifferent? If you never paid any attention to door knobs, write about how stupid it is to even think of door knobs. If nothing comes to mind, invent! The other prompts and other writers tales of the door knob can be found at the Rise and Write page.

I am smiling to myself as I type this, because writing about my door knob or plain door challenge popped into my head even before reading today's prompt.  Here is a typical morning, including this morning.  When I wake up, it is often quite dark in my bedroom.  After my morning stretches and little morning "think", I less than graciously stumble to the door.  Here is where it gets tricky.  I like to sleep with the door shut, but not shut tight. My assumption, even though both my husband and dog may come in after me, leaving the door open, I still expect it to be closed in the morning. I walk precariously with my hand out in front of me, trying to find the door knob.  If I don't do this, I am apt to find that the door is 3/4 opens, and I will run head first into the door, as it swings open to my side of the bed. 

We also struggle with persistently loose and jiggling door knobs in our house. I often feel like I should carry my short little chubby phillips head screw driver with me, room to room, screwing the door knob frame back into place, as a regular accessory. Are we harder on door knobs than other families?  Do normal people do a regular door knob rotation of tightening the screws so they never experience the loose jiggling handle? Our house being of a late 1980's style, has very generic oak doors and brass door knobs.  I would love to have doors with more pizazz and maybe porcelain or the diamond-glass looking knobs.  They wouldn't fit the house though. I picture those in my centuries old London flat of the future, an homage to a scene from a Dickens book.  Until such time, I'll still take my awkward steps each morning, looking for door knob while not putting a knob on my forehead. 

6 comments:

  1. :) Our bedroom doorknob is a serious jiggler, and despite my attempts to tighten it, it remains loose as a goose (however loose that is). I also envied the glass door knobs of my grandmother's apartment when I was a child ... ours were just as you describe, simple brass. Her doorknobs had so much class and style. Perhaps one at a time, we could replace the mechanicals and the knobs until we have reached jiggle-free, glass doorknob nirvana? Hmm. You've got me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a dream! I guess we are just simple folk with simple wants.

      Delete
  2. Who knew we can have such intimate relationship with our doorknobs! :) Our family also seems to be harsh on our doorknobs... but maybe it's not so exceptional after all? Loved how you played with the different meanings of the word, and yes, those centuries old flats in London must be so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I was more artsy, or maybe crafty, I could recreate something with old knobs. I'm sure there is something on Pinterest about using old and antiqued knobs for home decor.

      Delete
  3. Ha! Your morning dance!
    For some reason I love " short little chubby philips head screwdriver ".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I call it "the mom screwdriver" and I get quite peeved when it is borrowed and not returned.

      Delete

Have something to share? Your respectful comments are welcome. Spam and advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything deemed hurtful to others. If you are also an aspiring writer, please feel free to add your blog site or URL.