Friday, August 14, 2015

Wake and Think

We are at day 14 of the Rise and Write challenge.  I don't know if ore are in store, but I have enjoyed the process.  Here is the final prompt of week two. 

What was the first thing you thought about this morning? Did you think about your dream and wondered what it meant? Did you think about the list of things you have to do today? Did you think of breakfast? Of a work situation? Of your parents, partner, your child or your pet? Was it a creative idea you want to work on? Was it an unusual thought, or something you typically think in the morning?


I went to bed last night, in a drunken state, not from alcohol, but of trying to watch a couple episodes of a Neflix drama. I fell asleep 15 minutes into the first episode and woke up with about 10 minutes left in the second.  A woman was being chased through the streets of London until she made it to the underground, and managed to get on a train before her pursuer made it to the platform. Now I'll need to back track and watch both.  I slept rough last night. I hate falling asleep watching shows. The screen images blurry with my own thoughts, and I get very odd dreams. I woke still thinking about the odd dream I had. I wasn't being chased in my dream,  but I recall there was a heated conversation, and it was with the man that was chasing the women in the program, or at least with similar looks.  I just kept repeating, "No, we have to get there.  We have to get there tonight." He had hold of my sleeve and was holding tight as I was trying to pull away. In most of my dreams, I'm always how I remember looking at age 20.  Even dreams that have my kids surfacing in, I am 20.  What is my brain trying to tell me there? 


Dreams fascinate me.  How the images and and words that seem so real, yet often have nothing to do with anything you can connect to reality, form in the subconscious is both exciting and a bit scary  I am a pretty devout Christian, believing in God, Jesus, the resurrection,and heaven and hell.  Still, I am open to thinking there could be even more to life and the after life than what previous Christians of old chose to capture in the bible and what theologians teach and preach about today.  Are lives recycled and reincarnated, and what we get in dreams is bits and pieces of our own life? Are these images of future life to come? Here is a weird thought I have sometimes when I first wake up after a particularly  intense dream. Are the dreams real, and is my day to day existence the dream?  I have actually pinched myself in the morning to assure myself I am awake and not dreaming any longer. I'll think off and on today in little blips of day dreaming, about this dream, trying to decipher some meaning. By the time I go to ed, all image of it will be gone though, my brain prepped for new visuals. 


My dream from last night was my first thought this morning.  I didn't think long as I needed to push my body up and out from under the sheets and get both  day 13 and 14 Rise and Write prompts completed. Yesterday was a rare sleep in, and I didn't get out of bed until after 6:00.  I didn't even take time for my morning "think", the usual first task of the day.  This will have to suffice.

4 comments:

  1. I'm fascinated that you know how you look in your dreams. I look out through my eyes. What does that tell us dream reader?!
    I am lying in bed with insomnia so my waking thoughts are not edifying!!
    Hope your day is a lovely one. Xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine probably say I like how I looked at twenty better than 49! Actually, even as a child, I think I always dreamed I was older, about 20, so who knows, maybe in a previous life that was my last age.

      Delete
  2. I'm fascinated by that transition between what we call "awake" and "asleep" ... are they really so different, or just different channels our consciousness tunes into? I look forward to times when I can enjoy that "sleep-to-awake" transition again, each and every day, and not feel compelled to shuffle into my morning routine in such a hurry. And while I sleep very well most nights, I don't remember what I dreamed very often, only THAT I dreamed. I wonder if there's an APP for that? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting pondering. I find as a get older, scheduling a proper nights sleep is sometimes necessary. "I'm sorry, I can't meet your for drinks that night, I've scheduled an early night with my pillow.: There is the snooze button time as well-still in the dream but the quick hit of the snooze button helps finish the dream as I slowly wake.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to share? Your respectful comments are welcome. Spam and advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything deemed hurtful to others. If you are also an aspiring writer, please feel free to add your blog site or URL.