Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Swimming Pool

11
Write about your first experience of swimming. How old were you? Was it in a swimming pool with an instructor, or someone kicked you and you fell into a lake?  Were you with your friends, your parents or by yourself? Did you learn how to swim eventually? Do you love it, hate it, or are you indifferent to it? Visit  Rise and Write for more daily writing prompts,

I don't remember not swimming.  My earliest memories were of going with my mom, or an older sister to the splash pool next to the large pool in my home town.  This splash pool had two square water fountains that turned on in the morning when the pool opened and shut down when the big pool closed. The enclosed  splash pool was staggered so the center between the two spraying fountains perhaps got about 18 inches deep, and gradually less depth as you moved away towards the outside up to the dry side walk that lined the pool. Here is where the babies, the toddlers, and the young preschoolers played. Here is where I also walked on hot summer mornings with my son the first two summers of his life when our first house was only four blocks away. 

As we got older, we graduated to the big pool.  Each summer we would each get a season pass.  The pass was not the credit card variety if today, but a cloth patch that was sewed on your swimsuit.  This pass meant any summer day we had a ride into town, or were ambitious enough to bike the 5 miles in and then back home again, we could be at the the pool. I don't remember taking any formal swim lessons, but oddly, can't recall ever not knowing how to swim, except for the splash pool days.  My mother was terribly afraid of the water, so it was not her that taught us. My dad would have either been working long hours in construction, on the road  putting shoes on horses around the state, or working in the barns, large garden or fruit trees, so was not the teacher either.  It must have been one or more of my older siblings and their friends that helped me and my sisters learn. I don't know who taught them.

Throughout elementary and junior high, I loved that pool. My friends, sisters, and I would try and get there early and seek out a spot not too close, but easy to see the locker room entrance to the pool that let us see who was coming, and easy view to see the diving boards so as not to miss the really good divers.  There were two diving boards at the far end of the pool and the life guards one by one would let kids climb up and dive, or more often cannonball into the water.  There was always a few non or minimal ability swimmers that were goaded into jumping off, knees shaking the whole time.  I fortunately never witnessed anything tragic, but on many occasions I recall a life guard jumping in to help the struggling novice to the ladder. We played games of Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, Who turned out the lights?, and Marco Polo.  We dove for coins or sticks.  These were real sticks, not the made for pool diving sticks used today.

I loved that pool, and then, overnight, I didn't. I don't know if it was the summer before high school, or the summer even before that when I stopped going.  It suddenly felt juvenile and like the pool was over run with either  idiot little boys, giggling little girls, and  yelling and bossing parents with their kids. We moved to the beach, the strip of sand on the St Croix that separated Minnesota and Wisconsin. 

With my family, once we moved from walking distance, I didn't take my kids to the splash pool much.  We always had a back yard set up that I could fill or add to each morning, gently warming up for use later in the day. My kids had formal lessons at the high school pool, and we swam weekends at the lake. Eventually the community pool, leaking hundreds of gallons of water a day, was removed, and a new 0" depth pool and aquatic center was built. My kids were starting school then and we used that pool a lot.  My youngest still does. I don't know if there are any of these community pools left.  Water parks  seem to have replaced all the ones I was aware of.  They are of  another time, another era.  This pool, as many were, was a product of middle class expansion in the 1950's.  In keeping with other modern times, these pools are too simplistic, not enough wow.  I miss it now, or miss the nostalgia.  Whenever I watch the movie The Sand Lot, the scenes at the pool are my favorite. That was my pool.

6 comments:

  1. I always wondered when the pool boom happened in the US, and it makes sense that it would have been the 50's, as most were already there when I was a kid in the early 60's and before that my parents always talked about swimming in ponds, streams or private pools of more well heeled friends. Our current home is host to some very serious modern pools that go far beyond the simple 50's era pools we knew. I enjoy watching Anya and Natasha enjoy them or the area beaches as they swim and play ... me, I like to sit comfortably off to the side and read or write. Turns out I'm not much of a frog man. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many were part of the first suburban sprawl, or in my case, the small town that was starting to attract commuters, responding to the baby boom post war. I had gone back to college about the time the new pool opened, and my kids would happily swim and I would sit on the side reading, and watching them, simultaneously. It became a ritual to bring them there after I picked them up from child care between 4:30 and 5;30, snacks prepacked to ward off hunger for a late dinner, and they would exhaust themselves swimming for an hour or two. My husband sometimes beat me home and started dinner if I hadn't anything ready to reheat or in the crock pot. and other times we tag teamed to get us all fed, the kids settled for the night, and me studying or working on my project for a few hours each night until I too crashed. That pool was my salvation that summer as a full time mom, manager, and student.

      Delete
  2. I enjoy learning about the US before I was here - I can reconstruct so many things from the details of your stories, like the cloth patch vs. plastic card... it just says so much right in this little phrase! I think I can understand that if you learned how to swim very early on, you don't remember when exactly it happened. My mom, like yours (again) is afraid of water - she almost drowned as a kid, but later still learned how to swim...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my mom could swim, just hated to be in the water. She never shared if something happened at one time. The patches were a different color each year and had to be sewed on so you couldn't borrow to someone else, or pass through the fence to be reused. I guess someone probably figured out how to share suits if they were really desperate to get in free.

      Delete
  3. I too found the sewn patch fascinating!
    Having taught myself to swim as an adult, I can only dream of how it must be to always know how. What a gift.
    Thanks for your lovely comment on my latest offering :-) Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you to learn as an adult. I guess if water was just not a big part of your family life, there wasn't a need. For us, it was an affordable way my parents could keep kids busy over the summer. We got every penny out of those patches.

      Delete

Have something to share? Your respectful comments are welcome. Spam and advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything deemed hurtful to others. If you are also an aspiring writer, please feel free to add your blog site or URL.