Friday, August 14, 2015

My Favorite Book

13Write about your favorite book as a child. Do you remember the title, the writer’s or the illustrator’s name? Were you reading it by yourself, or was an adult reading it to you? Have you ever re-read it as an adult, maybe to your child, or just for yourself? What was the most memorable episode or character? Did it make you do anything new – maybe to become more adventurous, or change your name and identity, or learn how to read, or write and illustrate a book yourself? The Rise and Write details are here. With letting myself sleep late yesterday, I am doing two this morning.  I clocked this oe at 16 minutes.  feedback welcome.

The pages were already smudged, and the cover tatty when I placed my copy of E.B. Whites Charlotte's Web on the new book shelf in my new bedroom. I don't remember exactly when the book first became mine, but it was before I could read.  In elementary school, each month was the opportunity to purchase books through Scholastic book orders.  I didn't get to order every month, but birthday money, odd change found, and occasional money from my mom and dad, would allow a book or two from the $1.00 section.  This is how I  owned my beloved  book.  I remember one of my older sisters reading it out loud to me and my younger sister.  There were a few pen and ink illustrations strewn throughout the book to help develop the image of Fern, Wilbur, Charlotte and the rat in my head, but they weren't needed.  I could see it all.  I could smell the barn yard and smell the county fair. 

The summer before I turned 13, about the age Fern was in the book, my family moved into a new house, on the same property.  The 13o year old farmhouse was deemed in too rough a shape to try and update the wiring, heating, and foundation. It was to be demolished. The new house was a plain split entry, two bedrooms up, two bedrooms down, practical house.  My younger sister and I still shared a room, and being in the lower half, a natural shelf where the brick foundation  was built, surrounded the outside walls,   This shelf was perfect for books, and I continued to fill my section. Nine years later when I packed up those books to move into my first house after getting married, Charlotte and Wilbur came with me as well. 

I remember reading the book when I was on bed rest, pregnant with my first child, needing to hold the pages carefully as they were coming loose from the glue binding. The book came to our current house, and was read to my two older children until eventually, it just completely fell apart. Each of the kids have brought home library copies.  We watched the movie as a family, much like I did as a child, but I've never purchased another copy of the book.  I would have if the kids had ever requested, but I didn't feel a need for another version.  In writing this I am feeling a mourning for the book.  I mourn that old farmhouse with the creeky floors and outdated minimalistic plumbing.  I mourn my childhood, and more so my children's childhood. I mourn those last minutes of Charlotte's life, and remember my version of Wilbur's sadness in my mind.  But I mourn for just a moment.  It is morning, and it looks to be a glorious day ahead. So, in the immortal word of my favorite book, I greet you reader, "Salutations."

4 comments:

  1. Wow, SAM, that was just wonderful. Your memories of this book and of the times you shared together in your life felt so real here. Thank you for sharing them with us. Very tender moments vividly honored with sensitivity and warmth. And I must say that I heartily recommend that you buy yourself a new copy of Charlotte's Web. Unless you really just don't want to, of course. :) But I can speak from my gray haired experience that buying freshly bound copies of my favorite pages of Sherlock Holmes and Winnie-the-Pooh felt to me like I was honoring the memories these stories gave to me by investing in their future in my life by giving them new life on my book shelves of today. I enjoy collecting different editions of my favorite books ... the Sherlock with all the original illustrations ... the COMPLETE Sherlock with all the stories. And the paperback Sherlock for reading in bed without the hard cover corners threatening pajama clad snugglers. I'm pretty well covered when it comes to Winnie and Sherlock ... now where IS my new Wyeth The Boys King Arthur? It's good to see you back on R&W ... we missed you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, it is on my "list" of books that I would welcome as a gift. I might just need to gift myself. A first print edition would be a treat. I am just about to read the other Rise and Write prompts and can't wait to read abut Pooh and Sherlock sharing space. I will try not to oversleep, but know that these exercises are becoming a familiar and welocme pattern in my life, so I won't slip away too long!

      Delete
  2. Amazing the intimate relationships we have with our books. And which ones we pick.
    I loved the little concrete shelf, and the revisiting during different stages of your life :-) Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Justin's comment has me thinking I should own the book again. It was ne of those special reads to revisit as a child, older child, teen and adult-again and again.

      Delete

Have something to share? Your respectful comments are welcome. Spam and advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything deemed hurtful to others. If you are also an aspiring writer, please feel free to add your blog site or URL.