Friday, August 21, 2015

So Hot!

Day 21 is to write about feeling hot – your sensations, thoughts, desires. For this one, I'll  stay to the sketch element, so am planning on only writing for 15 minutes, and see where I land for a post. It is hard to believe that after this post I will have done 21 Rise and Writes.  Not all were done religiously each morning, and not all at the moment of first rising, but most have and I am finding the process to be challenging and rewarding.  I need to go back now and do a fair amount of editing, but that might be for another day.  To read more, visit Natalia's Out of the Writers Closet Rise and Write

So Hot!
 
"It's not he heat, it's the humidity."  How many times did I hear that growing up by my mother.  She hated to be hot. She thought you could always put on another sweater, but you couldn't decently take off enough to ever be cool when the hot stickiness set in. I am fortunate in that unless the humidity goes on for days and days, I am not overly bothered by it.  I like the feeling of being very warm, and resist turning on the air conditioner in my car  and home. It is a battle with me and my husband, who hates the heat.  If it could be no warmer than 75, he would be happy.  To me there is nothing like the sensation of being so hot and then having the cooling effect of water.  Whether that water impact is a jump in the lake or pool, a cooling shower, or even being spritzed by a water bottle, it is instant pleasure and gratification. 
 
Lately though, and apologies in advance to male readers for any lack of resonance, the onset of years has made my internal thermostat go haywire. I can have chills on the hottest of days, and when others are cool, I can feel like my body is on fire. There is no relief for this kind of heat; the heat that comes from inside, and not from the sun. Perhaps it is "just rewards" for having benefited for decades with a heat tolerance that exceeds most. I find ice water is my friend, the colder the better.  The two luxuries we have at my office are an ice maker that kicks out an endless supply of clean cubes, and a filtered water cooler.  I drink no less than three 20 ounce bottles of water a day. Perhaps there is some master plan in my psyche doing this to force me to drink more water, and consume less caffeine? 

As I write this, I am sitting in a Caribou Coffee, sipping the light roast of the day.  Yes, coffee and not ice water. It is overly air conditioned, but I can see the sun outside. Today is supposed to be 75 and full of sun and low humidity.  My daughter is running with her cross country team and will meet me here when she is done. I am not a runner, but she was excited for perfect running conditions.  It is my flex day off, and I was hoping for heat.  The natural kind that only the bright sun of summer can satisfy.

5 comments:

  1. I'm fascinated to read our different experiences of heat ... same species ... same conditions ... VERY different inner experiences. I also grew up hearing "it's not the heat, it's the humidity", and I certainly feel it that way. 100 in Phoenix never felt as miserable to me as 90 in Ohio, Indiana, Oklahoma ... I enjoy dry heat, the kind you get in a dry sauna ... that feels good to me. But to enjoy sweating, I need to know that I'll have quick access to a shower when I'm done, and in my day to day life now, that's rarely the case. I'm too picky, I'm sure ... but I can live with that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love water and green so I guess that is my tradeoff for getting humidity with heat. Though even I would get too much of a rain forest worth.

      Delete
  2. I've written about heat in this latest linkup. All out of order! I turned a prose passage into a poem. Maybe it will inspire you! Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be jumping over and reading it. I enjoy your poems.

      Delete
  3. Sam, you will totally enjoy Russian banya - staying in a steam room till you can't take it anymore, and then rushing into a cold pool! It's heaven! I don't love heat by itself, but I love this contrast, either in banya or at the beach in Summer. :)

    ReplyDelete

Have something to share? Your respectful comments are welcome. Spam and advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything deemed hurtful to others. If you are also an aspiring writer, please feel free to add your blog site or URL.